Finding fun activities that can be done with the entire family is one of the toughest tasks that parents have to face. The activity must be able to engage all members of the family, from the youngest child to the adults. In addition, with the current economic climate, the activity must fit into the family budget. While several different types of activities fit this model, one which has the greatest potential for a memorable time is the family camping trip.
Once you’ve decided that you want to take the family on a camping vacation, that’s only the beginning. Now you need to come up with a way to keep all members of the family busy and happy while camping. From the moment that you leave home to the time that you get back, properly preparing for the camping trip is extremely important. Since you will not have electricity, a television or even a video gaming system, you need to have fun activities to keep everyone happy.
Therefore the key to a successful camping trip with the family is preparation. The worst thing that you can hear while on a camping trip with kids is “I’m bored” or “When are we going home?”. To prevent kids from being bored or not having fun it is important to bring items to keep kids entertained. Items such as outdoor sport items such as fishing poles, baseballs, beach balls and Frisbees are all helpful items that can keep kids entertained.
Camping with kids also presents a number of potential hurdles. Keeping kids active is only the first challenge. While camping you also need to be aware of the strange environment and how kids can interact here. You need to be concerned with kids wandering off from the campsite and not being able to find their way back. Also, while camping you need to be alert to the potential dangers around the fire and the rest of the campground.
To help your kids have a safe and enjoyable time while camping, please feel free to review the following information and share it with friends and family. We have compiled a helpful list of information on a variety of camping topics that include campfire songs, how to safely cook with children and much more.
Activities for Kids
- Camping Ideas – Useful article for parents providing information on activities for kids.
- Camping Activities for Kids – Article that provides parents with five activities to keep kids happy while camping.
- Kids Camping Activities – Ten family friendly camping activities are listed to keep kids entertained.
- Fun Camping Games – Helpful article with a listing of ten fun camping games aimed at kids.
- Camping Game Ideas – Information and suggestions on what parents can do for easy to do ideas for games.
Traveling to Camp
- Camping Supply Checklist – Informative page which provides campers with a checklist of items that should be packed.
- Camping Checklists – Printable page with checklists that campers can use to ensure that they bring needed items while camping.
- Kids Packing List – Helpful article which provides information on items kids should pack for camping.
- How to Drive Safely with Kids – Information on how to keep kids occupied during trips in the car.
- Camp Safety Guide – Useful site which contains information for parents on how to keep kids safe while away at camp.
- Camping Safety Tips – New and experienced campers alike will benefit from knowing what to expect and how to handle and avoid safety concerns.
- Camping Health and Safety Tips – Informative page from the CDC with tips and information on camping safety.
- Woods and Camping Safety – Information on camping safety for the entire family.
- Kids Safety at Summer Camp – Helpful article discussing how to keep kids safe at summer camp.
- Camping Safety Tips for Families – Web page which provides families with suggestions on how to keep safe while camping.
- Camping with Kids – Article from PBS which lists seven tips for parents on camping with kids.
Cooking with Kids
- Camp Cooking with Children – Fun article which helps parents teach the basics of camp cooking with their children.
- Easy Cooking Recipes – Article which provides a number of easy to do recipes that can be created by children.
- Outdoor Cooking – Information and recipes on meals that can be made while cooking.
- Cooking Outdoors with Kids – Useful web page with ideas on what meals that children can cook outdoors.
- Campfire Cooking for Kids – Helpful web page with information and instructions on how to safely help children cook by the campfire.
- Classic Campfire Songs – Fun page with song information and lyrics for classic campfire songs.
- Fun Songs for Kids – Listing of songs and samples of campfire songs for kids.
- Childhood Campfire Songs – Information on many of the typical campfire songs from our childhood.
- Favorite Campfire Songs – List of twenty favorite campfire songs for kids and families.
General Camping Resources
- Camping Tips and Resources – Useful page from Vermont State Parks with tips and resources on camping.
- Tips for Family Camping – Information as well as ten tips for a fun family camping vacation.
- Family Camping Resources – Article which contains a number of useful sites for families for camping vacations.
- Kids Camping Resources – Kid friendly page with things to do with kids while camping.
- Camping with Kids – Resourceful site with games, tips and resources on camping with kids.
- Camping Resource Guide – Informative page with information on a number of camping related topics.
We hope this guide has provided you with information on how to have an enjoyable time while camping with the entire family. Visit our page often and learn more about how to make camping fun for the entire family. Happy camping!